- Ava DuVernay is the Emmy-winning director of Netflix's When They See Us, which follows the story of the Central Park Five. The four-part series not only became one of Netflix’s most-watched shows, but it also earned the streaming giant its most Emmy nominations with a total of 16.
- She was nominated for an Academy Award for Best Documentary for 13th on Netflix, which also won 4 Emmy Awards out of its 8 nominations.
- Her film, Selma, was nominated for 2 Academy Awards, including Best Picture.
- DuVernay was named one of TIME magazine's "100 Most Influential People" of 2017.
- She wrote, produced and directed the Middle of Nowhere, which earned the 2012 Sundance Film Festival Best Director Award.
- Her other credits include I Will Follow, This Is the Life, Venus Vs and Scandal.
- DuVernay is the founder of ARRAY, a community-based distribution collective dedicated to the amplification of films by people of color and women filmmakers.
Academy Award nominee and Emmy, BAFTA and Peabody Award winner Ava DuVernay is a writer, director, producer and film distributor. Her feature directorial work includes the Oscar-winning civil rights drama Selma, the Oscar-nominated social justice documentary 13th and the Disney children’s adventure A Wrinkle in Time, which made her the highest-grossing Black woman director in American box office history. In 2019, she created, wrote, produced and directed the Emmy Award-winning limited series When They See Us. She is currently in production on Naomi for The CW, docuseries One Perfect Shot and DC Comics event series DMZ for HBO Max, Cherish the Day for OWN, Home Sweet Home for NBC and the animated series Wings of Fire for Netflix, and in post-production on Colin In Black and White for Netflix and Queen Sugar for OWN. Winner of the 2012 Sundance Best Director Prize for her independent film Middle of Nowhere, DuVernay amplifies the work of Black artists, people of color and women of all kinds through her Peabody Award-winning narrative change collective ARRAY, named one of Forbes Most Innovative Companies. She currently sits on the Board of Governors of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, the Advisory Board of the Academy of Television Arts and Sciences and the Board of the American Film Institute.
I am getting so many rave reviews. Ava was nothing short of amazing!
For speaker-related inquiries, email firstname.lastname@example.org, or send us a message using the form below.
EU and Switzerland Consent Processing and Data Transfer
If you are a resident of a member state of the European Economic Area (including the European Union) and Switzerland Click Here
The foregoing consent is given notwithstanding any other lawful basis for the processing or transfer of Personal Information or Other Information.