- Ava DuVernay is the Emmy-nominated director of Netflix's When They See Us, which follows the story of the Central Park Five. The four-part series not only became one of Netflix’s most-watched shows, but it also earned the streaming giant its most Emmy nominations with a total of 16.
- She was nominated for an Academy Award for Best Documentary for 13th on Netflix, which also won 4 Emmy Awards out of its 8 nominations.
- Her film, Selma, was nominated for 2 Academy Awards, including Best Picture.
- DuVernay was named one of TIME magazine's "100 Most Influential People" of 2017.
- She wrote, produced and directed the Middle of Nowhere, which earned the 2012 Sundance Film Festival Best Director Award.
- Her other credits include I Will Follow, This Is the Life, Venus Vs and Scandal.
- DuVernay is the founder of ARRAY, a community-based distribution collective dedicated to the amplification of films by people of color and women filmmakers.
Academy Award nominee and winner of the Emmy, the BAFTA and the Peabody, Ava DuVernay is a writer, director, producer and film distributor. Her directorial work includes the Oscar-winning historical drama SELMA, the Oscar-nominated criminal justice documentary 13TH and Disney’s A WRINKLE IN TIME, on which she became the highest grossing black woman filmmaker in American cinema history. She is currently in production on her next project based on the infamous case known as CENTRAL PARK FIVE, while overseeing production of her hit TV series QUEEN SUGAR. Winner of the 2012 Sundance Film Festival's Best Director Prize for her micro-budget film MIDDLE OF NOWHERE, DuVernay amplifies the work of people of color and women of all kinds through her independent film collective ARRAY, named one of Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies. In 2017, she was featured as one of Fortune Magazine's 50 Greatest Culture Leaders and TIME Magazine's 100 Most Influential People. DuVernay sits on the boards of Sundance Institute and Film Independent. She is based in Los Angeles, California.
“I am getting so many rave reviews. Ava was nothing short of amazing!”
Texas Women's Foundation
To book a speaker, or for more information, call 424-288-2898, or send us a message using the form below.
EU and Switzerland Consent Processing and Data Transfer
If you are a resident of a member state of the European Economic Area (including the European Union) and Switzerland Click Here
The foregoing consent is given notwithstanding any other lawful basis for the processing or transfer of Personal Information or Other Information.