- Assisted the President and his teams to harness the power of technology, data, and innovation to advance the future of our nation and the world
- Co-created the public-private program TechHire, the Computer Science for All initiative, and the Image of STEM campaign
- Former Vice President of New Business Development at Google, leading acquisitions of Google Earth, Maps, and Picasa
- Former CEO of PlanetOut, forming partnerships with AOL, Yahoo!, MSN, Netscape and RealNetworks to lead the online LGBT community
- Advisor to the MIT Media Lab, Vital Voices, and the Malala Fund, which she co-founded
3rd U.S. Chief Technology Officer; Former VP of New Business Development at Google; CEO of shift7
Megan Smith is an award-winning entrepreneur, engineer, and tech evangelist. As the third U.S. chief technology officer, Smith helped the President and federal teams harness the power of technology, data, and innovation to advance the future of our nation and the world. Smith recruited top tech talent to serve across government collaborating on pressing issues, from data science, AI and open source, to inclusive economic growth and criminal justice reform. Her teams focused on broad capacity building by co-creating all-hands-on-deck initiatives, including the public-private program TechHire, the Computer Science for All initiative, and the Image of STEM campaigns.
For over a decade, Smith served as vice president of new business development at Google, managing early-stage partnerships globally, led acquisitions of Google Earth, Maps, and Picasa, and co-created SolveForX and Women Techmakers. Earlier, Smith served as CEO of PlanetOut, an online LGBT community in the early days of the Internet, worked on early smartphone technologies at General Magic and at Apple Japan.
Smith is an advisor to the MIT Media Lab, Vital Voices, the Malala Fund, which she co-founded and a National Academy of Engineering member. Smith holds bachelor’s and master’s degrees in mechanical engineering from MIT, where she now serves on the board as a life member. She was a member of the MIT student team that designed, built, and raced a solar car 2,000 miles across the Australian outback. Smith has recently co-founded a company, shift7, focusing on tech-forward networked innovation for impact and economic inclusion.
“Megan was fantastic! Our audience and employees absolutely loved her, and walked away feeling inspired.”
“She was an absoluteHIT!”
To book a speaker, or for more information, call 424-288-2898, or send us a message using the form below.
EU and Switzerland Consent Processing and Data Transfer
If you are a resident of a member state of the European Economic Area (including the European Union) and Switzerland Click Here
The foregoing consent is given notwithstanding any other lawful basis for the processing or transfer of Personal Information or Other Information.