- Mellody Hobson is President of Ariel Investments, a Chicago-based firm that serves investors and 401 (k) plans through its no-load mutual funds and manages separate accounts for institutional clients
- Starbucks named Hobson as the chair of its board of directors, making her the first Black woman in that role at the company.
- Chairman of DreamWorks Animation
- Regular finance contributor and analyst for CBS
- A director of The Estée Lauder Companies and Starbucks
- Writes a weekly column for Black Enterprise magazine and featured in Money, Fortune, Fast Company and PINK magazine
- Board member for the Chicago Public Library, Field Museum, Education Fund and Sundance Institute
Money-savvy expert Mellody Hobson has been educating viewers on important financial decisions since 2000. She is a regular contributor and analyst on finance, the markets and economic trends for CBS News. She also contributes weekly money tips on the Tom Joyner Morning Show.
Hobson is President of Ariel Investments, a Chicago-based money management firm that serves individual investors and 401(k) plans through its no-load mutual funds and manages separate accounts for institutional clients. As President, she is responsible for firmwide management and strategic planning, overseeing all operations outside of research and portfolio management. Additionally, she serves as Chairman of the Board of Trustees for the mutual funds.
A nationally recognized voice on financial literacy and investor education, Hobson is a spokesperson for the annual Ariel/Schwab Black Investor Survey, which examines the influences and investing habits of Black and White Americans. Additionally, she is a regularly featured columnist for Black Enterprise magazine and frequently quoted in various publications including, Money, Fortune, Fast Company and PINK magazine.
Beyond Ariel Investments, Hobson works with a variety of civic, corporate and professional institutions. Starbucks named Hobson as the chair of its board of directors, making her the first Black woman in that role at the company. Her community outreach includes serving as a board member for the Chicago Public Library and its foundation, The Field Museum, The Chicago Public Education Fund and The Sundance Institute. She is also a director of three public companies: DreamWorks Animation SKG, Inc., Groupon, Inc., The Estée Lauder Companies Inc. and Starbucks Corporation.
Hobson earned her degree from Princeton's Woodrow Wilson School of International Relations and Public Policy and is a former trustee of the university. She resides in Chicago, IL.
Everything went well with Mellody. She was so gracious and did a fantastic job. We had rave reviews!
For speaker-related inquiries, email firstname.lastname@example.org, or send us a message using the form below.
EU and Switzerland Consent Processing and Data Transfer
If you are a resident of a member state of the European Economic Area (including the European Union) and Switzerland Click Here
The foregoing consent is given notwithstanding any other lawful basis for the processing or transfer of Personal Information or Other Information.